Sunday 6 March 2011

Hatshepsut - Visible Cartouche at Deir el Bahri - Part 2


Hatshepsut Djeser-djesru 3470
Originally uploaded by kairoinfo4u

Looking through thousands of photos can sometimes be unrewarding. Some days however, patience is rewarded.

Kairoinfo4u provides a photo which shows at first glance the throne name of Thutmose II, "Aakheperenre". However on closer inspection it seems that the name of Thutmose II was carved over an earlier cartouche.

Now, with the photo enlarged we clearly see "Maatkara" which we know to be the Prenomen (throne name) of Hatshepsut.

Whilst not a surprise to see the name of Hatshepsut at Deir el Bahri (another was mentioned in a previous post) this is the first time i have been able to read her name under that of another (in this case, her husand).

I cannot give an exact location for this cartouche, but will if let you know if that changes.

Regards,
Stuart

2 comments:

Alice said...

Hi Stuart !
Aakheperenre is not the name of Thutmose I, but the coronation name of Thutmose II, the husband of Hatshepsut. The coronation name of Thutmose I is Aakheperkare.
I'll tell you if I know where is this inscription !

Stuart Tyler said...

Afternoon, Alice. I've corrected the post. I mut have read it 3 or 4times, without noticing that myself!

Thank you for your help.

Stuart